On February 4th, SDC Communication students attended the 30th Annual Impact Conference at Azusa Pacific University. James Powell, SDC student, and Dr. Lisa Dunne, Chair of the Communication Department at SDC, both presented papers at the conference.
Mr. Powell presented a student segment in Interpersonal Communication, “Talking to Myself,” which was designed to encourage fellow students to examine the inner world of their own “self talk.” Dr. Dunne presented a talk titled “Climate Change: The Impact of Communication Climate on Oxytocin Production and Socio-academic Success.”
The conference was attended by communication students from Azusa Pacific University, Point Loma Nazarene University, California Baptist University, Westmont College, Pepperdine University, and San Diego Christian College. Founded by Dr. David Bicker in 1987, the conference features research and presentations from students and faculty in the areas of interpersonal communication, organizational communication, political communication, journalism, and public relations.
Dr. Dunne welcomed the opportunity for students and faculty to engage in scholarly discourse and research methodologies with other like-minded institutions. “The conference is a tremendous opportunity for our students to share their research, to network with industry professionals, and to be encouraged by the creative work of fellow communication scholars,” she said. Dunne hopes to see an increased number of SDC attendees and student presentations for next year’s Impact event.
For information on SDC’s Department of Communication or its emphases, Interpersonal Communication, Broadcast Journalism, or Film and Media, contact Dr. Lisa Dunne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo IDs for attached pics:
1. Communication students and APU alum Joy Knepper attend the Impact Conference at APU.
2. Dr. Dunne with former Regent University professors, Drs. Michael and Darlene Graves, who were Dr. Dunne’s former professors (fun side note: I didn’t know they were coming and hadn’t seen them for over 15 years–they were some of my first profs in my first MA degree!)
3. SDC student James Powell presents in the interpersonal forum.
4. SDC’s RD Joy Knepper serves in the alumni networking session.
5. Dr. Dunne with APU Communication Department Chair, Dr. Courtney Davis.
6. Dr. Dunne speaks in the faculty session at the APU Impact Conference.