OFFICE: 619.201.8700 | ADMISSIONS: 800.676.2242 info@sdcc.edu

Guest Blogger Liz Alderete

How many times have you had these thoughts?
I am a failure. I am ugly. I am a loser. I will never be good enough. I was a mistake.
Nobody loves me. Nobody wants me. Nobody cares about me.

Those are lies.

John 3:16- says that Jesus came to save the world, not condemn it.

“This is how God loved the world: he gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and everlasting life. God didn’t go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted.”

The word acquitted means free from a criminal charge by a verdict of not guilty. God doesn’t want to condemn or point an accusing finger at us. He wants to acquit us and save us. So, why am I mentioning the Gospel? Because your identity is all about the Gospel.

So, what does “identity in Christ” mean?

First, let’s start with the term identity. It means ‘the fact of being who or what a person is.” Pay close attention to the part that says the fact of being.

Basically, facts (true information) determine who or what you are. In this case, your identity in Christ is based on the facts of Jesus’ being.

Who you are in Christ has nothing to do with you and is really about who Christ is.

We have been offered a new life, a new beginning, and a new identity.

2 Corinthians 5:17 says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come.”

Who you were is in the past and now you are a completely new person in Christ. Really? I am a new person in Christ? I know. It sounds too good to be true huh? But it really is that good.

This is a list of who you really are:

1. I am a child of God. Juan 1:12 & Galatians 3:26-27
  2. I am loved. Romans 8:38-39
  3. I am free, redeemed, and forgiven. Colossians 1:13-14
  4. I am holy. Ephesians 1:4
  5. I am a beautiful work of art. Ephesians 2:10
  6. I have been chosen and called. John 15:16
  7. I am important and I do have worth. Matthew 5:13-14
  8. I have a purpose and I am significant. 2 Corinthians 5:18-20
  9. I am forever free from condemnation. Romans 8:1-2
  10. I have a home. Philippians 3:20

Your identity is based on who Jesus is and what he did. Your identity has nothing to do with who you were or what you did. You are forgiven, so stop carrying all that guilt and shame. Jesus already paid the price for your sins. You are accepted. You are loved.

Liz is an SDC graduate student and author at https://shefightstoo.wordpress.com/