SDC Film Festival
The 2019 SDC Film Festival’s focus is to showcase family entertainment produced by student filmmakers. Films will be reviewed by a panel of filmmakers and industry professionals, who will choose the top films in each category.
Event Date: February 23, 2019
Event Time: 10 AM-6 PM (check-in begins at 9 AM, with an after party till 7 PM)
Location: San Diego Christian College campus, located at 200 Riverview Parkway, Santee, CA 92071
For more information, contact:
Marc A Hutchins, assistant professor of film and media production
San Diego Christian College is partnering with Alexander Films to launch the SDC Film Festival in Santee, CA on February 23, 2019. This inaugural festival will be a single-day event focusing on family-friendly short films.
The SDC Film Festival was started to provide an opportunity for filmmakers to showcase family-centered films and media, believing quality entertainment doesn’t require meaningless and gratuitous content. Our hope is to encourage filmmakers to excel in their craft and creative expression, without the pressures to “sell-out” and include material that fails to drive the story.
This year’s competition will focus on short films, under 15 minutes, and produced by college undergrads, senior or junior high school students.
Student filmmakers are encouraged to submit narrative short films (any genre), documentaries, web-series pilots, and animations. Films do not have to be faith-based or focused on religious subjects; however, we ask that the content and material be family-friendly and un-offensive to the general public. Any films with “excessive” or gratuitous profanity, gratuitous violence, gratuitous sexual references, nudity, or hate talk will be rejected.
The single-day festival will start with check-in and networking, followed by the festival opener, screenings and events, lunch, additional screenings and events, festival awards ceremony, and after party.
Filmmakers with a film screening at the festival will receive a ticket for lunch (max 2 lunch tickets per film screening). All other attendees can purchase a lunch ticket at a discounted price at check-in.
Each screening will be accompanied by a filmmaker’s Q&A (if filmmaker/s is/are present)
The SDC Film Festival events will include breakout sessions and a panel (or panels). Breakout sessions will be opportunities for filmmakers and students to hear from industry professionals and others who have experienced production, sharing their journey, challenges, and success. Filmmakers with short films screening at the festival, who are also attending, may be invited to speak on an “Indie Filmmaker’s Struggles” panel. Other panels may be available pending participation.
The awards ceremony will include recognition for:
- Best short film in each category
- Best cinematography
- Best actor
- Best production design
- Best edit
- SDC Film Festival 2018 Pick
SDC FILM FESTIVAL Rules and Terms:
- All decisions made by SDC Film Festival are final.
- By entering the SDC Film Festival, each entrant accepts and agrees to be bound by the official rules of the SDC Film Festival.
- Please submit in the correct category and by the stated deadlines. Festival organizers reserve the right to change a film entry’s category to the appropriate category.
- Festival organizers reserve the right to disqualify entries that have not followed the Rules and Terms set forth.
- Short film must be no longer than 15 minutes (total run-time, including credits)
- The festival is open to filmmakers who are high school juniors beginning fall 2018, even if the film was produced prior to the start of the high school junior year. College undergrads must be attending college courses during the festival semester.
- Any films with “excessive” or gratuitous profanity, gratuitous violence, gratuitous sexual references, nudity, or hate talk will be rejected.
- Student filmmakers must have a school email address, or proof of enrollment (provided upon request).
- In submitting films to the SDC Film Festival, the filmmaker represents that s/he is authorized to submit this film for screening at the SDC Film Festival. S/he acknowledges that the film may be screened more than once during the festival and for subsequent screenings SDC may use as “Best of the Fest,” and/or other partnership screenings for which SDC may showcase accepted and screened films after the festival. S/he grants SDC the non-exclusive right to use submitted materials in connection with any and all publicity and promotional materials regarding the festival. S/he warrants that the submitted film does not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of any person or entity and agrees to hold harmless and fully indemnify and defend the SDC and its representatives against any and all claims made for such infringement or any other violations of law.